Thursday, November 07, 2013

I am recovering but I also need surgery for an entirely unrelated issue...

I feel so much better than I did 2 days ago. I'm still exhausted, but my throat is less sore and my head is less pound-y, so that's awesome.

I just got back from a hospital appointment with a consultant about my wrist. I've got Kienbock's disease, which is a rare disease where your lunate bone dies and collapses. Apparently, only about 20 people in the UK have it. I'm super special.

He said that there are 4 stages and I'm at about 3b, so probably not much time until it deteriorates to a point past saving. Scary stuff.

I have 3 options for surgery. One is to fuse my bones together, eliminating pain but also eliminating any range of motion (they also do this at the final stage when no other options are available). The other is to remove three of the bones in the wrist which should preserve some range of movement and take away the pain. The third option is an experimental surgery where they remove some of the tendon from the foream, replace the lunate with a synthetic bone and thread the tendon through to hold it in place. This is supposed to be as close to a 'normal' wrist so theoretically should have the same range of motion etc.

I think I'm going to go with the experimental one, purely because if it doesn't work, I still have the option of removing 3 bones.

Funnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. I'm slowly turning into the bionic woman, limb by limb.

No comments:

Post a Comment