Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Blarghhhhghhghh

I was going to go for a run this morning but I failed on that part since I was up till 1am buying Christmas stuff. Good job, me.

Must go to bed early tonight.

Today is a better food day, though. I had a small latte this morning (not great, but whatever), lunch is soup and dinner is chicken & salad. Not brilliant, but better, so that's good.

We had a family discussion last night on fitness/health goals for 2014 which was pretty good. My mum's been ill recently with what I assume is Norovirus and it's spurred her on to get healthier. She made a really good point last night, she said "my one word for next year is consistency". I think she really hit the nail on the head with that. Being consistent with a healthy diet and exercise is definitely better than taking it to extremes which inevitably makes you stop and start.

We decided that I'm going to be in charge of dinner during the week and on Sundays, my mum can cook whatever she wants for our family dinner but I'm in charge of the portion sizes. I think it will be a pretty good system.

The fact is, my whole family (myself firmly included) eat too much and move too little. My mum and I both have sedentary jobs and don't walk all that much on a daily basis. I need to use my pedometer more just so I know how how much I'm doing, and try to increase it. I think I might get one for mum too. Regardless of runs or gym workouts, I'm not doing enough normal movement and that's something I definitely need to change.

My grandma moves even less, she takes the car whenever she leaves the house and stays at home for most of the day. It's to the point where her thigh muscles burn when she walks for about 2 minutes, it's really terrible.

My dad is the most active day-to-day as his job is a manual job; he travels here, there and everywhere as well as lifts heavy stuff a lot of the time. 

Weekends are where we all fall down though (especially me recently) since I'll have at least one day where I don't really leave my bed.

We're also going to tackle the big "S" (smoking). Just small changes at a time, phasing it out slowly. Hopefully this will work for all of us!

In other news, I haven't bitten my nails in a few weeks. My nails were once again in horrible condition so my mum said she'd pay for a shellac manicure at Christmas if I stopped biting them. I still bite my cuticles, though. I've bought some nail strengthening polish and cuticle cream so hopefully I can make them all nice and pretty.

This was kind of boring, sorry (I'm not sorry).

No comments:

Post a Comment